Wednesday, February 10, 2010

MEETING ONLINE

Somewhere along the way, I forgot about the various systems for meeting with students online--it's been a very busy workshop, and I'll have to get to some of the resources after the course has finished. Two of the more common ways to meet with students online are skype and yahoo messenger. Both of these can be configured to work with groups--I did participate in some group discussions and chats using both of these systems. I have also used them both to talk individually with students around the world.

Something I was not as familiar with was a virtual classroom. The one I explored as part of this course was Tapped In: I have actually set up an office on this site, but I haven't done anything else so far; however, from what I understand, one can set it up in the same way one sets up a physical office--resources, meet with students--and also set up a classroom. The last time I went to the site (it's free), someone offered to help me with the technology and set up a classroom, but at the time, I was more interested in just exploring the site and trying to visualize the potential. I did have a quick tour of the site--tours are offered. Check the notice board in the reception room for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment